- Food should be served promptly as soon as the guest rests.
- Fruits should be served first, Allaah says: “And with fruits any that they may select; And the flesh of fowls any that they may desire.” [Al-Waaqi’ah: 20-21]
- Then meat is served, then any other food. Finally, the dessert is served. At the end one drinks cold water and washes his hands with warm water.
- All available kinds of food should be served.
- Guests should be afforded ample time to be satisfied.
- Food should be quite enough.The host’s share of the food should be set aside before it is served to the guests.
- After eating, if a guest seeks departing, the host should see him out with a cheerful smile and kind terms.
- The guest, too, should, out of his modesty and good manners, be satisfied and contended even if he finds something wrong.He should not depart unless the host lets him go.
- The guest should be mindful of the time he stays by the host.
— Ibn Qudaamah al-Maqdisee – Mukhtasar Minhaaj al-Qaasidin (p.77-78)